How much mash?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by philintheblank, Jun 28, 2011.

1. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    this winter i will not be using heat lamps, i hope to have a fully insulated coop this year, so i was thinkign i would give the chicks some hot mash in the morning and evening before they go to bed, just wondering how much per bird i should give a day, they will still have dry food 24/7 but i know i like a bowl of oatmeal or a cup hot chocolate after i come out of the cold, so i figured it would be a good treat for the birds too.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It depends on how many birds you have.

I am a little confused: If your chicks are not fully feathered during the winter, then you will need a heat lamp out there. If your birds are chicks NOW, and will be adults come winter, then they should be fine without a heat lamp. You may have losses to the cold, but even I have those in the desert.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Think small. If most LF eat about 1/4 pound of feed per day, try 1 tablespoon or less per bird with warm water added; moistened feed expands and the birds don't eat as much as you might think in one sitting. I add leftover fruit warmed in the microwave when my children don't finish an apple, etc. Decrease amount of feed if adding extras.

You want no leftovers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by