1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much pecking is acceptable

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tara7815, Sep 17, 2009.

1. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    I know that it is the natural order of things for there to be some pecking going on - at what point would it not be OK?

I've combined my flocks and they seem to be doing great - some light pecking here and there that I expected and I think is completely normal - but I just want to know what to look for that would not be OK>

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If it's just every now and then they're probably fine. I watch for persistent pecking. If one is willing to chase another across the yard pecking away relentlessly, that's over the top. Outcasts, if one or even a few chickens can't get near the rest of the flock without getting picked on it's out of hand. That kind of stuff.

The occasional "Hey! That's my... dust bathing spot/roost spot/cricket/best friend to hang out with" pecks I let go.

Essentially if the inferior chicken ducks out and the superior chicken takes the retreat in stride and stops the attack, I generally deem their relationship okay. [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I agree with OP. Make sure that everybody gets food/water and they don't peck constantly one an individual. Also watch that nobody pecks to the point where they draw blood...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by