How much room...

We use a 4X8 foot chicken tractor for approx 8-10 birds thru processing. We usually take the roosters first at about 6 weeks and let the hens grow out more until 8 weeks. However, if the hens start dropping of ascites, it would be better to take them first. It really depends on how the birds respond to their growth.

Restricting feed is the most important part of this process and will ensure you get the birds to the processing weight. If you don't follow the recommendations, the birds will start dropping...either the legs go out or they flip. We raise about 30 a year and have had great success using the method I explained in the other post here. I am sure what the hatcheries recommend work just as well, but some kind of restriction is necessary to keep them healthy thru processing time.

Ours range in at 6-8 pounds at processing time and we're happy with that. I've heard others keep them longer for bigger birds, but I have had enough of them by 8 weeks and am ready to put them in the freezer.

Jody

Ok, so should I start pulling up feed now? The 22 in the brooder range from 2 days old to 1 week old. Already the week olds are very large compared to their younger conter parts. I dont want them to start dieing! Oh, silly question, but do you clean and dress them if they die, or toss them?

Agree, we dispose of them if they die prior to processing time.

Jody

Sounds good. I pulled their feed up tonight, opting to do the 12 on/12 off feeding method as it works better for my schedule. They seemed real worried when their feeder went away! Acted like they were starving! lol
lol.png

I look forward to the mornings.... You should see those little butterballs dance when they see me coming..... Put the food in and it is a free for all....

I enjoy this sight....Makes me smile every morning.....

Yeah, I usually only raise four cornish at a time with four layers. They are in a 4 x 8 tractor and do fine. They spend most of their time on the attached house anyways which is only 2 x 4.

Back
Top Bottom