How much roost space?

rmh0508

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Engadine, MI
I just got a coop yesterday and the roost in there was so big I could hardly get between it and the door to go in. So my question is how much roost space do I need for up to 20 Cochin Bantams? Right now I have 28 of them but I am planning on getting down on some cockerels before winter.
And one other question. How many nesting boxes should I provide for about 15 birds? I think there are 8 boxes in there now and am wondering if I should add more?

8 should be fine for 15 birds. I ask the question on roosting space seems to be about around 12 inchs per bird.

You have enough nest boxes - they usually have favorites, anyway, and will not always use all the boxes. As for roost space - my chickens are on a 5' long roost, 8 of them, and they all touch a bit while settled down to sleep. Hasn't been a problem - they don't seem to mind a small space for sleeping. But watch the shenanigans while they're choosing their position on the roost! It can be hilarious. You'll find if they're too crowded and someonedoesn't get a spot, you'll have to add more roost. Otherwise, if there is space left, it's OK. Have fun with your new coop!

Thank you all for the replies! I think I may have to add a few more roosts but I was really worried about the boxes. Hopefully they like their new coop
hmm.png

How wide should the roost be? Should it be more like a dowel that you would use for a bird cage or more like a 2x4. Are branches ok? Also I am having a couple of LF and about 7 Bantams. Do I need to have different widths for them?

Quote:
Dowels make awful roosts for chickens. Their toes don't grasp the way a perching bird's toes do. Wider, flatter roosts are better. You can use tree branches around the width of your chicken's foot, but watch out for rough spots that could cut or abrade. I sand down any spots like this on the branches I use. I also spray the branch with Adams Flea and Tick spray and leave it out in the sun to dry and air out; don't want to be bringing any mites from wild birds into my coop.

You can also use flat boards. I plane down the edges and sand them smooth. For my bantams, I use 2" wide boards, but many people with standard size chickens use the wide side of 2" by 4"'s.

Back
Top Bottom