How much roosting space do buff orpingtons need?

Just when I thought they couldn’t pack themselves any tighter, here they are - taking up HALF the roost space they have! I didn’t think it was physically possible, but I guess most of that is just fluff anyway 😄 It’s 58 degrees outside, nowhere near cold enough to justify this level of squishing. I guess they are in denial that summer is over, and are being overly dramatic about the 58.

46B9FDDA-6128-4277-B71C-613D85C98951.jpeg

And, for comparison, this is them on a warm night:
3F13BF07-8100-4F99-8356-4E3CF2C7FB1E.jpeg

The other night mine were packed so tight I had to count beaks to make sure I hadn't had an escape -- I saw way too much empty roost. LOL
I can’t even see beaks on most of mine… Have to rely on the fact that they are all slightly different in color/darkness and just look for a color change as I look across the roost 😄

@K0k0shka, just wanted to say how great it is to see an update on your longer roost and how your new girls are fitting in with the flock. Man, they are so big! That one partridge girl looks like a total chonk and as big as her SL and LC roosting neighbors, who I know are BIG girls.
Aww, hi Windrider! :frow I haven't posted any updates to my threads recently... I even missed my poor new babies' half-birthday. Time flies. The pullets have grown a lot and are HUGE. That's being additionally exaggerated by the fact that their aunties are molting, and are looking uncharacteristically small right now (so much of that size is fluff!) The dark pullet is the largest of the three, and until the hens fluff out again, she's going to be the largest of the whole flock!

Here she is, back on the old roost (the other two pullets are the ones on the baby roost. She's braver than them and inserts herself in with the big girls more than they do):
1635821633215.png

Next to my largest hen, who is molting right now so she looks smaller than usual:
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.54.13 PM.png

All together on the roost - from left to right: two pullets, the largest hen, the largest pullet, and the rest of the hens:
1635822200445.png

They get along pretty well. The hens still hog the treats or any special feedings, and chase the pullets away, but nothing too serious. When food isn't involved, they sit next to each other to groom or dust bathe, and sleep next to each other on the roost.

Oh, I just :love at that line of enormous spherical blobs on the roost. 🤣

That dark pullet is sure a zaftig beauty. Her color isn't partridge, but it seems like a "real" color variety, not just a mix - like you said, her color looks like a barnevelder. I don't know what that color or gene combination its called - it seems like just gold laced except for the pure black head - but it seems like Papa's would have a market for Orps that breed true to that color. It is beautiful.

I'm glad you continue to be so lucky with having a calm flock where they all get along so well without much drama. I'm aiming to find some quality bantam Orps this spring, but I have been disappointed that the bantams I've seen don't tend to have that "English" type that you (and I) love so much.

Back
Top Bottom