How much roosting space per chicken?

smokinjay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Ok know this could be a crazy question (but I am more of a builder wife handles the chix) So I just want the building side of this not to become the issue later in Jan. lol
Also want to get the most use out of the space?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yea I got that part of the 4 sqft per bird. What I am looking for is the Roost do you need 6 inchs of roost per bird maybe a foot per bird? Will be closing in the coop soon and rather have it right Now than Januray!
Lots of info around here that confusing. For example insultion most will say its not need then next there is a thread about frost bit! Dont want to see the wife crying because I screw something up being to much in a rush.

Quote:
Yea I got that part of the 4 sqft per bird. What I am looking for is the Roost do you need 6 inchs of roost per bird maybe a foot per bird? Will be closing in the coop soon and rather have it right Now than Januray!
Lots of info around here that confusing. For example insultion most will say its not need then next there is a thread about frost bit! Dont want to see the wife crying because I screw something up being to much in a rush.

These birds huddle together if raise together.
Insulation is more or less predicated on where you live? If you live in Hawaii there is no need but if your in the Pac West you have to. As far as cold just put deeper pile of pine shavings. They do ok in cold, for what I am told heat is more of an issue. Keeping them outof drafty windy area to get away from. My roosting bars are only 36" long for 3 birds and they all sit on it to one side.

I am sure others will pipe in hear too,

Steve

Last edited:
Frost bite usually occurs if there is poor ventilation. Moisture from breathing and fumes from excrement needs to vent out, if too humid your chickens will have frost bite in mere 32 F temps. Proper venting and my girls did fine last winter below 0 F and a few nights of -20 without heat or insulation.

8 to 10" length of roost per chicken depending on size of breed is plenty, they huddle close come winter. Many use 2x4 the wide way to allow them to sit on feet completely apposed to dowels or 2x2 where they grasp the roost. Protects toes come harsh winter.

I've got 5 bars in a tilted ladder configuration, each 4' long. All 11 birds normally squeeze onto the top one, so I guess that's ~4" per bird. Sometimes one or two drop down to the 2nd. That said, I think having lots of elbow room isn't a bad thing at all to keep them from fighting, especially if they spend a lot of time in the coop.

I'm looking at putting in another 4' roost under the two rows of nesting boxes before we introduce the newest ones in a few months.

Most people say about 8" per bird but it does depend on the breed.

Here are mine in the new building made from rough 2" x 6"s and store bought 2 x 4's.

These are hinged so i can pull the whole thing off the floor and tie it to the rafters if i need to get under it for cleaning.

33744_0906112025.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats Sweeet! Check out your page to thats some Good healthy Looking Birds you got. Hope to see our's looking that good!

frow.gif
Hi, I see you're as confused by the text-book answer{4' per bird} for roosting space. LOL!
idunno.gif
Think of it this way: you CAN squeeze 4 adults in a full-size bed, if everyone sleeps on one side and perfectly still all night. BUT ~ we all move and stretch in our sleep. So, 2 in that bed is more comfortable.

My chickens are happy sharing a 6' roost to 5 birds. One hen sleeps in the nest box.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom