How much scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nikischicks, Oct 18, 2009.

1. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    I have 13 chickens, and its starting to get cold here. How much scratch should I give them in the evening? Meaning like measurement wise.

2. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    you don't have to measure. I Give them a couple of handfulls mixed in w/ the regular food....or throw a couple of handfulls on the ground so they can search for it...hence.."scratch-grain"

I have 19 chicks and ducks and mix scratch in with the reg. food...year round.
    My kids are healthy and happy. they will only eat what they want...you cannot over feed them however, you don't want to give them "ONLY" scratch...they need the protein from the reg. food. hope this helps.

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    As long as everyone gets some. It becomes a game after a while, so just make sure everybody gets their fill.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The poultry science people usually recommend scratch at no more than 15% of the birds diets or what they can clean-up in 20 minutes. Oregon State University

Some, make it real simple, "Do not mix scratch grain with a complete commercial ration." University of Georgia

Steve

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    About half a handful per bird is plenty. If it's really cold you might split that into morning and evening feedings. It'll keep them busier and warmer.

If you're feeding a higher protein ration than the usual 15-16% layer ration you can give them more.

.....Alan.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that's what I go with a handful per bird, they tend to leave any more than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by