how much should a donkey eat in the winter?

Quote:
I know they need to be trimmed we had lots of horses, ponies, mules, donkeys etc.
But what I never understood was - who trims wild horses hooves?
hmm.png

Are you serious?

They die if their hooves make them too sore. It is that simple.

Pat

I understand that, I was asking what the deal is with wild horses.
Thanks for the followup.

i sure have an awful lot to learn about donkeys i think
smile.png
thank you so much for the fast (and helpful) replies, i really do appreciate it
smile.png

may i ask one more question, its about grooming. i was given a box with about 5 different brushes in (one spiral brush from metal, one total plastic with plastic 'points' one small one a bit like a nail brush but long, and two that have a strap to go over your hand) im guessing these are meant for horses coats...which ones can i use on a donkey and for what parts of the body??

Quote:
A good book on basic horse and pony care would go a loooong way, I *highly* recommend a trip to the library or bookstore (or a quick Google search even)
wink.png

Basically, use soft "brushy" flexible brushes anywhere you want (being cautious around eyes and ears, and anywhere the *donkey* may be cautious about you brushing); use things with hard pointy bits gently and carefully if at all, and only on the big fleshy muscle-padded main body regions (not head or legs). The harder stiffer pointier things are basically for removing crusted-on mud, and/or loose hair during shedding season. The softer brushes are for normal brushing.

Do not take it for granted that the donkey knows about being brushed, *likes* being brushed, or will like your personal techniques for brushing him. At least at first (better, "always") do it with someone holding the donkey's leadrope not with him just loose around you (tied is okay IF you have firmly established already that the donkey ties well and will not do something stupid if startled or annoyed). And I'd stick to the soft brushes til you have groomed him enough different times that you two understand each other and are on the same wavelength.

Quite frankly there is not a big reason to HAVE to brush an idle horse or donkey most of the time, although it is very good bonding/training work and can help you notice any medical or behavior problems that you would want to know about. Picking out his hooves every day or two is smart, though.

Pat

Last edited:
Donkeys, like horses should have the majority of their diet as hay/grass. Being that it is winter hay will help generate body heat. I would put out a whole bale for free choice feeding, and back off the grain.

Back
Top Bottom