how much should i be feeding them?

DustyShadow

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 10, 2011
Sydney
hi, i was wondering,
how much should i be feeding my egg laying hens per day?

i cannot have a feeder to keep feed in 24/7, so i have to feed them each afternoon, and morning...

so, how much should i be feeding 3 isa browns, 1 leghorn, and a bantam (they all live together) each day??
i feed them backyard layer pellets, and they are supplemented with vegetable scraps, and are free range, so they eat whatever they find throughout the day...

any ideas??
i feed then some, but i'm just not sure how much they should be eating...

smile.png

wink.png

Just curious...why can't you free feed???
Do a search to verify, but I think I've read that they typically eat 1/4 lb of feed per day, so for you about 1.25lbs of feed. Not sure what that would eqate to in cups or in metric units...

Quote:
An american lb = 450 grams so 1/4 lb = 112.5 gram. x 5 = 562 grams a day (just over a metric pound).

But I am also curious why you can't free feed. It's so much easier and they will not overeat.

Edited because my math skills suck this early in the morning.

Last edited:
x2
Depends on size and breed somewhat..but 520 grams is about right. 260-275 (2 metric cups) twice per day. You really really need to free feed though. Chickens metabolism and nature is not set up for a schedule at all. They pick at it all day long
Edited because I just noticed where you are from. You dont want to free feed because of predators, rats, etc??? If so you really need to work on a secure area as soon as possible. Those things that eat the feed will also break open and eat the eggs.

Last edited:
yes, the reason i cannot free feed is because of mice and rats, as well as other birds.
the rodents seem to have no interest in the eggs, but they do seem to enjoy the feed
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom