How much should I feed my chicks?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by dkjlachicken, Mar 1, 2015.

1. dkjlachicken

dkjlachicken New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    We are new to raising chickens, we only have about 6 chickens. I am wondering how much we should be feeding them, and how often?

2. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    I usually just use a feeder. I will fill it up and let the chick's just eat out of it until they're full. Once the feeder is empty, I'll fill it back up. There should always be food available for growing chick's. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. dkjlachicken

dkjlachicken New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    thank you that helps

4. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    Be sure to add Granite Grit or some other insoluble grit freely for them to eat... their gizzard needs it to grind the feed.....

5. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Congratulations on your new flock!

To achieve balanced and complete nutrition, plan on feeding a complete feed, free-choice, meaning that there should always be fresh feed in your feeders. Depending on your schedule, you may consider feeding your birds twice per day to make sure that they always have feed, but one time per day is a common practice as well (just keep an eye on the feed levels in the feeders to make sure that they are never running out of feed).

As your birds approach laying age at 18 to 20 weeks of age, you will need to gradually switch them from a starter feed to a layer feed. For more information on feeding the right feed for your birds’ life stage, check out this article: http://purinamills.com/backyard-poultry/feeding-chart/feeding-chart/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by