How much should I feed my chicks?

dkjlachicken

Hatching
Mar 1, 2015
We are new to raising chickens, we only have about 6 chickens. I am wondering how much we should be feeding them, and how often?

I usually just use a feeder. I will fill it up and let the chick's just eat out of it until they're full. Once the feeder is empty, I'll fill it back up. There should always be food available for growing chick's. :)

Congratulations on your new flock!

To achieve balanced and complete nutrition, plan on feeding a complete feed, free-choice, meaning that there should always be fresh feed in your feeders. Depending on your schedule, you may consider feeding your birds twice per day to make sure that they always have feed, but one time per day is a common practice as well (just keep an eye on the feed levels in the feeders to make sure that they are never running out of feed).

As your birds approach laying age at 18 to 20 weeks of age, you will need to gradually switch them from a starter feed to a layer feed. For more information on feeding the right feed for your birds’ life stage, check out this article: http://purinamills.com/backyard-poultry/feeding-chart/feeding-chart/

Back
Top Bottom