How Much Should I Feed My Ducks?

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
How much feed should I feed my full grown ducks in cups? They free-range about 4 days a week. I have two buffs and two cayugas! How much should I feed per duck?

I don't measure, i put out feed... so basically i free choice.. they come and nibble throughout the day, and the main barn has a feeder there all the time.

Has never stopped my ducks from foraging, everyone is super active and healthy.
smile.png

I do pretty much what Going Quackers does, except that because my place is small and suburban, foraging is done under supervision. I have also started making wheat fodder, and the ducks like that. But they get moistened layer feed free choice 24/7.

Same here, I free feed. I use a big scoop from the feed store. I have way too many chickens/ducks to figure up exactly how much feed to give lol so as long they have feed out there and they are foraging for themselves, they should be fine!

Another free feeder. They will eat as much as they need and then stop. Even my pekin (who was grossly obese when I got her) eats a bit, then goes for a swim, off foraging, etc. A bag of feed lasts me @ 3 weeks for 5 chickens and 7 ducks (and a *@!$# deer who jumps into my run to eat the feed).

If you're having problems with waste, switch to pellets & hang your feeder over a solid dry surface rather than reducing the amount they have.

I free feed layer pellets. This winter I bought some WH that were raised on corn. I also have a bowl of cracked corn available now. Ducks don't seem to like new foods.

So I started free feeding them, but now they won't eat their food because I bought a new little giant feeder and waterer. I was using just buckets before and they were fine, but they seem scared of the new feeder and waterer. Has anyone had this happen with their ducks? Will it just take them time to get comfortable to it?

Back
Top Bottom