How much should I feed weak baby chick

JessicaMax

Hatching
Apr 4, 2024
Hi Everyone, out of my three eggs two hatched, one died by getting stuck in the egg and I had to assist the second one out. It was pretty weak so after 24 hours I have been giving it water from a dropper and some egg mixed with Luke warm water which helped and perked him up. My question is how often should I be feeding and giving water and how much should he be having. He is about 48 hours old. I really want to help him. Thank you

Hi Everyone, out of my three eggs two hatched, one died by getting stuck in the egg and I had to assist the second one out. It was pretty weak so after 24 hours I have been giving it water from a dropper and some egg mixed with Luke warm water which helped and perked him up. My question is how often should I be feeding and giving water and how much should he be having. He is about 48 hours old. I really want to help him. Thank you
I had this same problem except my chick had a leg deformity as well. I found this electrolyte supplement recipe if you want! As far as feeding times go, I don’t know your situation specifically but you’re really going to have to watch the chick, mine died in the night when I took a shift unfortunately. Keep starter mix out in case it feels good enough to walk around and eat. How often have you been feeding/watching it?

I had this same problem except my chick had a leg deformity as well. I found this electrolyte supplement recipe if you want! As far as feeding times go, I don’t know your situation specifically but you’re really going to have to watch the chick, mine died in the night when I took a shift unfortunately. Keep starter mix out in case it feels good enough to walk around and eat. How often have you been feeding/watching it?

• 1 cup warm water.
  • 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar.
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt.
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda.
  • 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride* (optional

The recipe^

Thank you for the reply. He is doing really well. I set an alarm for every 4 hours and offer food/water. He is running around the box now and I’ve been pecking the starter mix with my finger in the hopes he will begin to follow and eat. He has started to mimic my finger reactions and is pecking the food to eat but I don’t see him eat on his own unless I tap the food. I’ve still been giving water droplets via syringe as a top up but I don’t want him to rely on me for food.

Back
Top Bottom