How much should I feed??

I don't think you can overfeed but do be aware all mine are the "F" word too. I just put out three 24oz bowls now and refill them maybe twice a day just depends on if they're down or if its bad weather and the chickens don't forage as much.This is just for seven birds though that get to forage an acre all day. Acre is full of fruit so that messes with the feed amounts too. As long as nobody's hungry or so "F" they can't move you're doing good! :)

So 95 oz of food a day... I am already feeding 96 plus 64 at night. Am I overfeeding?

Realize that your 3 x 32 oz. morining containers + 2 x 32 oz evening containers does not translate to a total of 10 pounds. Dry measure is not the same as weight measure. My blue seal information states that a LF hen should eat .2 - .25# of feed/day. I've heard the upper end of the range to be .33#/day. I have no idea how much a duck eats. If you want to cut your feed bill, consider fermenting your feed. There's an excellent article you can read at the bottom of my signature.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but now I have a question. I am new to chickens, I think it's a week today. I have 5 hens and I have I think a 3 pound hanging feeder. I fill it about 3/4 full and let it hang. So far I have only refilled it once. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but now I have a question. I am new to chickens, I think it's a week today. I have 5 hens and I have I think a 3 pound hanging feeder. I fill it about 3/4 full and let it hang. So far I have only refilled it once. Am I doing something wrong?
Your hens will let you know if you're doing something wrong. When its empty, refill it. The numbers I used are all about conversion rates: Optimum health, Production, with minimum feed costs.

Recommended feed consumption for full grown LF birds is .2 - .33#/bird per day. At the minimum: 5 x 7 x .2 = 7# of feed per week. That's if they are eating absolutely nothing else. Are they full grown? Are you giving them anything else to eat? Are they free range at all? What is the mill date and the protein % for your feed? You have fed them approximately 4.5# of feed. So, the answer lies in how they are acting and what else they are eating.

Back
Top Bottom