How much should you handle new chicks

handling is the key. I have spent all the time in the world with mine - giving them treats, having them eat out of my hands, talking to them, sitting with them, etc, etc. Hours every single day without fail. I just never forced them to be held because I was told it was bad. Now I know that it's not bad - it's crucial. Spending time won't help much unless you also force them to be held. Please note it is a key difference.

So they won't get sick or something? I have a toddler a baby and a ten yr old. The baby doesn't interact with them but the toddler gets supervised access and the ten yr old gets free range. I also carry around with me 1 or 2 in my brazeir. Is there such a thing as too much handling?

Thx a million
Angie

Nothin better than climbing in the brooder pen and sitting with the chicks. I sit for hours with them. They crawl all over me, and sleep, perch, poop (ew) LOL Some love to be held and cuddled, some just want to sit on me and not be held. All of them will come right up to me, or anyone really, now. They are 10 days old.

I have a young grand baby that loves to hold the little chicks - supervised of course and I let anyone that comes over to see the new babies hold them but, I keep Disinfectant Wipes for hands before and after touching the chicks. Disinfectant wipes are Really important for little kids and especially toddlers to use after touching chicks.

I start handling mine the day I get them.

As to treats, make sure that you provide them chick grit before you give them anything other than their chick starter feed. Just put a bowl of it in the brooder. I leave it there 24 x 7. I like to feed crushed cherrios (not honey nut) for the first treat after they are about a week old. I have also given them uncooked oatmeal. It is just rolled oats. Make sure it is basic oatmeal, check the indegrediants. All treats should be fed in moderation. At least 90% of their feed should be the chick starter feed.

I did not know how important it is to actually pick them up and hold them even though they hate it...and I didn't want to stress them....so I have chickens who love to follow me around, and will come when I call and eat out of my hands, but if I want to pick one up I have to wait for nightfall.
Now I know. : / Next batch will be different!

Mine get a smooch on their little heads on a daily basis..I could sit and watch them for hours..When I come in the room I say " where are my babies?" and they start peeping up a storm! They know its feeding time...Some like to cuddle more than others. But it is so important to get them used to being handled.

Back
Top Bottom