How much space between quarantined chickens and existing flock?

VWillis

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
I am going to be acquiring 9 hens from my girlfriend and I need to know how much space should be between the quarantined chickens and my existing flock. I read one place that it is 12 yards but can I get away with less space? I'm looking at a space that is about nine yards from my existing flock. Is that enough?

As long as the hens cannot get to the chicks you should be fine. Also it should be far away enough so that the chicks do not acquire any of the diseases the hens carry. Nine yards is okay.

Great! Thanks. I read about them sharing air space so I'm glad 9 yards is enough.

You're welcome. :) Also, if you can, make sure the hens cannot see the chicks. Chickens are omnivorous and will try to eat mammals smaller than them if they can. I woke up to a hen frenzy one morning and discovered a mouse in their run, which they were quickly devouring. As long as they are unable to peck the chicks through their run it will be fine. :)

Due to airborne diseases, three hundred feet is the usual recommended distance. Dander as other dusts can travel a good bit on a windy day. Most backyard keepers don't have that much space. Do the best you can.

x2! 300 ft. downwind, and serious biosecurity measures between. And introduce a 'sacrifice bird' for a few weeks after the three week quarantine, and hope for the best. I will NEVER acquire outside birds, only chicks from a clean hatchery or tested flock. There are too many sad stories out there on this topic. Take care of the birds you already have! Mary

Back
Top Bottom