How much space do I require for a Appenzeller Spitzhauben?

Kearaaaa23

Chirping
May 18, 2023
Hey, just wondering how much space I'll need for one Appenzeller Spitzhauben cockerel? He is around 4 months old and will be with 4 pullets and other cockerel. They all get an hour of free ranging everyday and get let out early every morning too. I have 175 sq feet in my backyard and set up a few roosts and digging areas but majority is concrete. Will this be okay for my Appenzeller cockerel?

It may or may not be. It just depends on how the two males get along. Some are much more willing to share hens than others, but with only 4 hens total (because roosters do not count out hens to keep things even between them), odds are there is not enough space or hens for two cockerels. Especially if they are all the same age. Males mature far faster than females, and without mature hens to whoop their misbehaving butts, they'll likely terrorize the pulleys until they mature at the least

Do you have a coop at all?
Generally, you want four square feet per bird in the coop and 8 in the run.
Yes we have a 22sq ft coop with a couple roosts but we don't have a run their usually just let out in the backyard which is heavily fenced and taken out to free range at 6-7pm.I heard that Appenzeller chickens are very active and require 230sq ft to move around in so I'm a bit worried..

2 cockerels with 4 pullets sounds like trouble. I have Spitzhaubens and they are no different than my other breeds in space requirements. They are slightly smaller, but not enough to make a difference regarding space. It is often very difficult to deal with 2 cockerels. (Of any breeds). I think that will be your challenge. You may have to decide between them.

Yes we have a 22sq ft coop with a couple roosts but we don't have a run their usually just let out in the backyard which is heavily fenced and taken out to free range at 6-7pm.I heard that Appenzeller chickens are very active and require 230sq ft to move around in so I'm a bit worried..
Space shouldn't be an issue but you don't have enough females for two, or even 1 boy.

It may or may not be. It just depends on how the two males get along. Some are much more willing to share hens than others, but with only 4 hens total (because roosters do not count out hens to keep things even between them), odds are there is not enough space or hens for two cockerels. Especially if they are all the same age. Males mature far faster than females, and without mature hens to whoop their misbehaving butts, they'll likely terrorize the pulleys until they mature at the least
Our appenzeller cockerel is 4 months old and the other cockerel is almost 6 weeks old and had no problems with other cockerels. He's is also a Pekin Bantam so will be slightly smaller than the Appenzeller. Also, we do seperate the cockerels are night to prevent early crowing and causing havoc. Our pullets are around 2-3 months old and are quite friendly but flightly.

Space shouldn't be an issue but you don't have enough females for two, or even 1 boy.
We are planning to get 2 more gingernut ranger pullets within the next few months and hopefully the cockerels get along but I think they will as the younger one has not started crowing and isn't aggressive. I've seen people have 4 cockerels with 6 hens in average sized yards so I think I'll be able to pull it off (hopefully) 😅

I’ve had Appenzellers for several years now and they are not much different from any of the other 10 breeds I’ve had. They are, if anything, a bit calmer and more mellow than any of the others.

Back
Top Bottom