How much space is needed in a run for 7 standard chickens?!? HELP ME!

flytie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
New Jersey
My little babies are in my bath tub, and I'm going crazy trying to put together a coop! 7 chickens have to fit in it, but it can't be too too big. My yard is a good size for living in N.J., but I need room for other things, like my garden! So I've been told stuff like "8-10 feet per bird!" Oh my GOSH! that's almost 70 feet of my yard! I want it to be movable!!! I need something smaller! I'll give my chickens excersize myself! they won't be in the coop ALL day! Please? Help?
barnie.gif
idunno.gif
hide.gif
barnie.gif

The coop needs to be at least 3 sq ft, and the run ten sqft. sorry. Unless you let the free range your yard all day, every day, then you could go smaller in the run. I had a friend who wanted the same thing as you, and stuffed 8 birds in a chicken tractor, many of them started eating their eggs, and picking at each other, she even lost three from the rooster killing them to get more room. I just don't want that to happen to somebody else.

8-10 feet per bird is way overkill for a coop. Most people suggest 4 ft per bird in a coop, this however is not written in stone, it depends on your birds and how much time they have to spend in there. If they only overnight in the coop then they may get along in a smaller coop ok but if your birds get to pecking each other they may be overcrowded. Also you have to figure in rainy or cold snowy days the birds may prefer to stay in all day every day. I like to go a little bigger than needed but it is all up to you, how much space do you have and how often you want to clean the litter, there are many factors all of which can be worked around.

Our tractor is A frame. The bottom run area is 5 feet wide and 8 feet long
for 3 regular size chickens.
They also get some free range time throughout the week but not daily.
I really like the flexibility of moving the tractor when necessary.
It looked really big when they first went out into it. But now that they
are full grown, I wouldn't want any more chickens in that space. ( Although
I would love more chickens ) It seems to be fine for the 3. So far no attitude issues.
They also share one nest box.

8-10 feet per bird is way overkill for a coop. Most people suggest 4 ft per bird in a coop, this however is not written in stone, it depends on your birds and how much time they have to spend in there. If they only overnight in the coop then they may get along in a smaller coop ok but if your birds get to pecking each other they may be overcrowded. Also you have to figure in rainy or cold snowy days the birds may prefer to stay in all day every day. I like to go a little bigger than needed but it is all up to you, how much space do you have and how often you want to clean the litter, there are many factors all of which can be worked around.
I believe that they were talking about outside the coop, and 10 sq ft per bird in an outside run is nice for the birds if you can do it.

Like the above poster said, it would only need to be 7' x 10' or 70 sq ft total if you can come close to that.

Good luck, and happy chicken keeping!

Back
Top Bottom