How much storage? and for what?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RedCanoe, Jul 5, 2008.

1. RedCanoe

RedCanoe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Hey folks,

We are still planning the layout of our coop. It will be 16x8 with windows on all four walls. We are not going to start with a very large (backyard) flock, but wanted to build to accommodate our whims from year to year (I seem to want a couple of every breed that I read about, so we may end up with quite a few at some point). We would like to start with about 15 layers.

We were thinking of keeping a section alloted for supply storage. do any of you have a storage spaced built in to your coop? if you were building our coop for us how big would you make it?

I was expecting to use it for extra feed, litter etc. but is there any else you use or wish you could use it for that you didn't plan for?

Thanks!

2. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I always seem to have extra feeders, waterers floating around the house, garage, barn. Then when I want something for new chicks or have to seperate hens I can never find it and end up buying new. I would build a nice big shelf for stuff like that.

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I like to keep it simple. I just have a metal trash can filled with feed and sprinkled with DE (diatomaceous earth) Maybe you could put another metal trash can for the DE itself.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:well , let me start by saying , make it BIG NOW . we built our coop and run and 2 weeks later we were already enlarging the run area .

Our coop ( chicken house ) is 8x12 and will probably have to be enlarged SOON . We built our run area 12 x20 and already enlarged again another 12 x 10 extra ft. So , its 12 x30 NOW .

As for storage for feed , pine shavings , etc. we DO NOT have storage as of yet . BUT I recommend NOT making inside your coop , unless its an entra added room area . Hubby is considering building it behind the coop area .... BUT , I am betting he will enlarge the coop first .

The more room the better .

Our coop and run are all together . Chickens hav e access to go under the coop to get protection from rain . SO th have a full run . We put a 2 ft. trench dug around the whole perimeter of the coop and run and buried wire 1 ft. deep , so predators can not dig their way in . He covered the trench buried wire with dirt , IF that dont work , he will be pouring bags of concrete around perimeter . ( WISH he had done that already )

Our run is not totally completed . WE need to add 1 " wire on top of the whole area . Its been raining everyday , so for the meantime , he cut their flight feathers so they can not fly out . ITS 8 ft. tall ............. and word of advice , make your coop tall enough inside so you don't have to stoop when you enter .

He also made 2 sides with wings that open for extra ventilation ( wired ) and can be opened for clean out . DOOR on coop area , is locked , with a small extrance door for the exiting and entrance for chickens .... I put 2 gallon plastic containers for water on each end of run , and smaller water containers on cinderblocks for the smaller teens . I also put feeders under the coop area so feed dont get wet from the rain . COOP is built also on blocks so they have full access and its working great .

ALSO , we put on one wall the nesting boxes ( black deep milk crates filled 1/2 way with pine shavings and the roosting area is on opposite wall completely away from the nesting boxes , NO POOP in nesting boxes .... Nesting boxes are 18 inches off the floor .

[​IMG]

Door on RUN area is also locked with padlock . I will be posting pictures once its all completed .

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Good idea to build storage space...we WISH we did now. I have three silver garbage cans with lids...holding food, cracked corn, DE, and a small one holding grit. Now I have to run back and forth from the house to the coop with these things...WISH they were right there!

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I do have a 'people' side inside my coop that also serves as storage. I wish it was bigger!!!

I need more room to store the chicken feed, the chick feed, the goat feed (they share the run with the chickens), the goat mineral, the bedding, the crack cocaine (oops -sorry that's scratch to you and me [​IMG]), the chick feeders and waterers that are only used once a year here, and some other misc. items.

Whatever size you think you will need ... double it!

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I mentioned to hubby , maybe pouring a small area ( even tho its bagged concrete ) for storage close to the coop area for supplies .

He said maybe under a tree would be a good area for that . we have plenty of trees and he picked the BEST area to build the coop and run . Majority of the day , the whole area is shaded ....

WORKS for me . [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Our coop is within our barn, and we created an interior porch for some storage. We loaded it with hooks to hang tools, and added a high shelf to hold filled waterers, a small feed can, a water dump bucket and other small items. I need to add a paper towel holder. We didn't want it crowded so we store feed in a sealed Rubbermaid drum on wheels in the barn. We have an extra one to hold a bag of DE. In the coop we built two platforms partly for the birds but also to serve as a work area when we're in there getting organized with 12 birds milling around![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by