How much sugar to use with denagard?

Marshaharrell

Chirping
Apr 4, 2018
Rougemont NC
Respiratory stuff keeps popping up in my flocks. Thought we had it licked by treating the affected pullets with Tylan, but now others are sick, mostly young pullets. Eyes matted shut, runny eyes and noses, slightly lethargic.

I have Denagard 12.5% and from reading threads here, will start 16ml/gallon tomorrow, sweetened with sugar. I would like to treat the whole flock to try to stop this. Anyone have any idea how much sugar to add?

When I use Denagard, I use the following: 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Karo syrup, 1 1/2 C fruit juice (apple or any apple mix); to one gallon water, plus two TBSP of the Denagard-water solution., for 7 to 14 days. Of course, follow the instructions for mixing Denagard solution; you don't want to use it straight, obviously. If your flock is sick, you should be using the treatment strength solution, rather than the preventative strength. Used as a preventative, it seems to work pretty well against MS/ MG.

When I use Denagard, I use the following: 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Karo syrup, 1 1/2 C fruit juice (apple or any apple mix); to one gallon water, plus two TBSP of the Denagard-water solution., for 7 to 14 days. Of course, follow the instructions for mixing Denagard solution; you don't want to use it straight, obviously. If your flock is sick, you should be using the treatment strength solution, rather than the preventative strength. Used as a preventative, it seems to work pretty well against MS/ MG.
X2

Thanks! I don’t have the apple juice, but I have the Karo syrup. I have cranberry juice, but that is probably too bitter. Hopefully, they’ll drink it with just the karo today. It’s it’s humid here in NC, so I don’t think they’ll have much choice.

I’m reading that the treatment dose is 16ml or ccs per gallon. Does that sound right? We will start it as preventative next month.

Cranberry juice works; really, anything does; grape, orange, punch, whatever. I just like to use apple or apple mix juices because they don't taint the water a strange color, and the birds seem to like the apple juice the best.

For 12.5 % Denagard, the dosage is: 8 Tablespoons Denagard to 1 1/2 C water to make your stock solution. Then, you take 2 tablespoons of the Stock solution, and mix that with your plain gallon of water that also has the Karo and juice in it. That's the preventative dose. For TREATMENT dose, use 4 tablespoons Stock solution to 1 gallon of water, juice, and Karo. Also, you can probably use plain white sugar too, but I wouldn't use brown.

Don't use any more Denagard than that, or if you have a different strength, then best to ask a vet or the Mfgr or someone what the dose should be, because Denagard can be toxic if used improperly.

If you have MS or MG in your flock, you need to keep up with the preventative treatments. We use it every 4 to 9 weeks, 5 to 14 days at a time, usually 7 days is plenty. You just kind of have to use your judgment about how much to give and for how long.

We get ours from firststate vet supply.

They aren’t drinking much. Is there a way to put it in food?I give them rice, chopped apple, chopped carrots and banana and corn every morning. Could I add it in that with sugar? And if so, how much? I have 15 full grown chickens and 12 9week old pullets.

You could maybe moisten a little food with it if you want, but I wouldn't worry too much. Are they sipping and then shaking their heads like it's bitter? Or just not drinking? You might want to play around with the proportions a bit, or run out and buy some apple juice.

Also, table scraps are ok, and in the old days they used to feed chickens JUST table scraps, but if you're not feeding commercial chicken feed, you probably should be. It's ok to mix it with a little corn or scratch, or some table scraps, but for a mixed flock, Purina Flock Raiser works well, or, if they're all hens, you can give them Purina or Dumor layer crumbles. They like em. :).

They eat layer pellets, I believe Dumor, but they love their mix in the morning. Its not really scraps (although I do get some leftovers from the kids at lunch)--I spoil them. 2-3 times a week, they get halved grapes as well.

They're drinking and I don't see them shake their heads, but the waterers were pretty full. We have a 2 gallon and a 3 gallon. Should we half fill them? I worry they'll run out and it's been hot.

No it's fine. Just keep the medicine in there for the full 14 days the first time. You don't need to refresh the medicine every day..as far as I know. At least I don't.

Back
Top Bottom