How much sunlight needed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Summer98, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Songster

Sep 11, 2011
    I understand that sunlight will affect the laying of hens. What I am wondering is how important is it to have my coop in a sunny spot? Can I have the coop under some shade trees? Or will this result in less eggs? On the other hand, the trees could provide shade and wind break. We're trying to decide where we want to place our coop permanently.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I think comfort is more important to the hens for production. Shaded daylight counts too so, just add windows and vents. You can easily add a light on a timer - if you want in the winter when it gets dark early.

3. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    What tends to affect laying is light, not being in the sun. If the sun is out, there is enough light.

Heat is more of a problem for chickens than cold. I would opt for the shaded location, so they have refuge from the heat of summer.

Chris

4. Depends a large degree to your location, North or South, East, West? Also depends on whether the trees drop their leaves in the winter, allowing for sunlight, while using their leaves for shade in the summer.

5. Summer98

Summer98 Songster

Sep 11, 2011
    We decided to put them partially under some Evergreen trees. It is shaded, but they have a South and East window, so it should be ok for light I hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: