how much to charge for mutt eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by werecatrising, Jul 27, 2010.

1. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I had initially given some fertile eggs away to a few friends with broody hens and no roos. Since then I have had quite a few people ask to buy some. What do you think I should charge? The same as I do for eating eggs. I tend to want to give things away, or charge next to nothing, but since I have started having fresh eggs to give I have been taken advantage of my quite a few people.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    When I had a mutt pen, I sold the hatching eggs for $10/dozen. NEVER had anyone balk at that price.

3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i am the same way you are. i like to help people to the point of putting myself out.

for mutts i personally would charge 2-3 a dozen especially if i couldnt use them as fertile since they arent good for too long.

But again... im willing to sell my eggs $1 a dozen - 75 cents if you bring a carton....

Like i said. im just like you so i wouldnt take my advice!!!

My logic: fertile eggs at auction only go for 4- 4.25. there is a place about an hour away that sells full breed but "chance" eggs/mixture for $2 a doz. its just a toss up on what you get, but what you get is full bred.

4. New Hatcher

New Hatcher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    For eating eggs I think $3 is a good price. At our stores here to by free range organic eggs ( I'm assuming yours are fairly close to free range and organic) it cost $6 a dozen so I thought $3 would be a good deal. My family didn't have any trouble with this ( they know the $ is for our kids) until they found out that my hubby sells them for $2 at his work LOL! Now they all joke about who to buy eggs from but even the guys at my hubbies work have said they would pay $3.

As for Mutt eggs for incubating I would think $10 wouldn't be to bad. You could always barter a little if someone balks at your price.

I say throw a price at 'em and see what they think:cool:

5. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Oh, you are so kind! Fighting! Stand by you...

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I sell eating eggs for 3$ whils lots around me sell them for 2$? Thast ok I only sell the largest eggs I get so I think they are worth it! Fertile mutt eggs Id go for 10$ a doz-ive had many get those and again no one tried to talk me down in price.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I think like anything else it depends on your market. In our area fresh farm eggs sell for only $1.50 - $2.00 per dozen (We sell our eating eggs for $1.50 if the buyer supplies the carton, $2.00 if we supply the carton.) There is no call for mutt eggs here (Darn little for pure breed eggs) but we would sell mutt hatching eggs for a bit more than eating eggs if possible. From what I've read online and from talking with friends & family from other areas of the country it seems that all types of farm eggs bring much more in other places.
    We only sell local, but it makes me gasp when I see the prices some people charge for hatching & shipping eggs. If I could get those prices I bet I could talk the wife into letting me build more pens.
    Terry

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I sell my eating eggs for $2.50 on CL, $2 to coworkers. I sell mutt hatching eggs for $6 a dozen, and had to actually turn people away, despite having the competition sell their mutt eggs for only $2 a dozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by