How much to charge for young hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by judikins, Oct 1, 2011.

1. judikins

judikins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    I have a flock of mixed breed hens..5 months old now..all to be good layers..I'm thinking of downsizing to 40 hens..have 55,have a lady interested..but..what do layers go for now? advise please...thanks??

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I sell them for $10.00!!

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:But that would add up to $150! [​IMG]

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I've recently paid $15 for speckled sussex hens born in Feb. Also $6 for mixed cochin pullet hatched in April. Depends on the breed and how badly you want to downsize, plus how much you like the person you're selling to.

5. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Take into account 1) She will lay eggs. 2) She will eat a lot, and now requires oyster shells soon. 3) How much you paid for her to begin with. 4) She ate a lot in your coop too. 5) Can she be shown.

$15 is what I found at one site for a pullet. Seemed kinda steep for me. If she was three or less as a chick, she is worth eight at least, I would reckon. If you paid more, nine. If she can be shown, tack on one or two if you like.

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    She is as valuable as she is desireable.

How bad do they need a laying hen?
    How bad do they want multiple hens?
    Do they like your hens?
    Are they wanting to show your hens and are they SQ or really good?

If you are just wanting to downsize and don't care. 5 bucks a hen. If you really have quality young hens ask 10 but offer a discount if they take all of them.
    You get what you want (downsizing) and they get awesome laying hens.....and you both make a new friend. I know I am goofy like that in my old age.... Have a great BYC day.

7. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Since they are mixed breeds, and you know how people seem to love purebreds for whatever reason, probably not more then ten.

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I think it depends on where you are, too. Here in the Midwest, I just paid $10 for hens that are laying and $5 for young olive egger pullets (young enough that I'm not positive they are pullets but I can take any roos back). Breed has a whole lot to do with it, too. The ones I got were pretty common.

9. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I was at a swap yesterday and seen hens from $3 to $20.

10. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I was just at a swap and bought a couple pullets for ten dollars each. I thought that was a very good deal, but I probably wouldn't pay that much for mixed breed chickens. I don't know, I don't have anything against them, I just wouldn't pay that much for a pullet who isn't laying yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by