1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much to feed chicken in winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jhillsmo, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jhillsmo

jhillsmo New Egg

Sep 22, 2009
    1st post here, reads like a good site. We have 7 6-7 month old hens, Buffs, Easter-eggers, barred pr, nh red, do they get fed less in the winter, for that matter how much should they be fed this time of year? Feed 'till they won't eat?

thanx

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I free feed mine all year long. In the summer they freerange and still get food open to them at all times.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Same here. They free range all day, but I keep their feeder full or nearly full. They take what they need.

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Same here! I keep feeder full all the time, checking it 4 times per day. They will self -regulate.

5. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    They should have feed available to them all day long, and in the winter they will probably need more, in order to keep up their body temps (and because there won't be as much free-range food available to them, if you are letting them out at all).

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I full feed all year round..

Chris

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Chickens will not overeat on poultry feed. Always have food available. You can then also supplement with a treat everyday. Many use corn or scratch but I prefer black oil sunflower seeds like you buy to feed wild birds. More calories and fat than even corn therefore more energy to produce body heat and keep warm. Last winter I threw down about 2 cups a day for around a dozen chickens on a plastic tray like those used for building rabbit cages.

8. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    As much as they need.
    They will not "over eat".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by