how much to feed my 10 weekers

henrietta101

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
I have four new 10 weekers. How much should I feed them per day? I have been told that it is dangerous to overfeed them at this age? If true how long until they can self-regulate their own feeding?

Also, when do I stop the grower food and start them on pellets? And when can they have treats?

It isn't dangerous to over feed. They'll either just ignore it or more likely, beak it around, kick it around and waste it. But no danger whatsoever.

You can feed them anything right. Starter, Grower, Finisher, Raiser. Anything but a Layer formula. Layer is simply feed, but it has added calcium ground into the feed for egg shell production, when that time comes. You won't need to feed that until 20 weeks, give or take, when laying actually occurs.

I put this out and keep it filled. At night I cover it with a bucket so the critters dont get into it.

102768_1320426008121.jpg

Are you talking about meat birds, or layers? It makes a difference, as I understand it.

meat birds are different, but for 'regular' chickens, free feed, they won't over eat.
Treats can be started at a couple days old...just supply some grit so they can digest it, or let them free range to collect the grit/stones/gravel they need to digest
they should be on starter/grower till they reach point of lay, around 20 weeks, then after the first egg is laid, switch to layer feed.

I leave feed available 24/7. I give sunflower and cracked corn as a treat daily.

I feed tomatoes, fruit, and worms when available. Chickens do not overeat.

Back
Top Bottom