How much to feed my chickens?

Had a flock of about 30 chickens comprising of speckled Sussex black Australorp buff orpingtons and 2 white brahman and Rhode Island Reds. They always had a flock block, 2 8lb feeders that I filled daily ( lol toads would scratch out a lot of feed onto the ground but they always came back. Also got greens tossed to them. Had a sizable Asian cockroach population ( at first ) chickens free ranged most the day eating everything that walks slides floats and Glides and a few things that don't

I wouldn't feed chickens more than they can eat, imo. Eating more will cause them to put on weight enlarging the crop and causing them to consume more. Chickens will also keep consuming more feed when they are bored. My chickens only eat every morning and once start wandering from their feeder that is usually when they are done. My chickens are by no means skinny either, they have a good amount of weight on them for their average weight. I honestly wouldn't let chickens get fat either.. My Black Copper Maran was too overweight because I was giving her own choice of amount of feed and feeding her other things.. bread, fruit, etc.. It started affecting her egg laying as well and she ended up with prolapsed vent.

I ferment Flock Raiser, got only 4 BO/28wks, 50# bag lasts me about 2 months. I split a 50# bag into 6 - 7 2gal ziplock & freeze, defrosting as I need. Wish I could get 25# bags of feed & due to shipping across the Pacific by the time we get feed it's at least a month old & when there's storms :barnie

Wait you can freeze fermented feed?

I ferment Flock Raiser, got only 4 BO/28wks, 50# bag lasts me about 2 months. I split a 50# bag into 6 - 7 2gal ziplock & freeze, defrosting as I need. Wish I could get 25# bags of feed & due to shipping across the Pacific by the time we get feed it's at least a month old & when there's storms :barnie
Hawaii doesnt make and sell there own feed?

Back
Top Bottom