how much to feed my chickens????????????

Chickens are not like gold fish, they will control how much they eat. Their consumption rate can vary on age, weather, etc. I make sure that they always have food by observing and anticipate.

If chickens are spilling and wasting, take out the feeder and they will clean up the spill.

4-5 oz per day is what I read, about 1/2 cup per bird. So for just your 18 LF, plus maybe consider your 7 banties equivalent to 3 more big birds in feed requirements, that would be 10-11 cups, and you are feeding just 6 cu. layer, 2 corn, plus veggies, so seems like you should boost the layer quite a bit.

I certainly notice reduced feed requirements from having my chickens on grass/clover, plus feeding veggies and whole oats for scratch, but they still have free access to all the layer feed they want until they roost. They do seem to tank up on layer feed before bedtime.

Quote:
Just a little side note to say that goldfish only eat until they're full.

I'd never heard of the feeders where the chickens step on a pedal to open it. Sounds like a good idea. Mine aren't out yet, but I was thinking of leaving a feeder in the coop, so that rodents don't get to it, then it can contain food permanently. As for outside, well, they can eat grass, bugs and the bird food I put out for the wild birds.

Back
Top Bottom