How much to feed the chooks

geeber

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
PNW
We have three 7 month pullets. We feed them 4 cups of Layena crumble a day. Is that enough? They also free range in the afternoon, get kitchen scraps, scratch, & grit.

At least you didn't say "scoops" or "handfuls" and cups are a common kitchen measurement.

The crumbles that I feed (not Layena) weigh about 1/3 pound per cup. So, if your feed is comparable: you are giving 3 adult-size chickens, 1 1/3 pounds of feed each day.

I will say that along with "free range . . . kitchen scraps, scratch" it seems more than enough. Depends on how much of those treats they are getting. By itself, I think that you are giving enough commercial feed for 3 or 4 chickens of most dual-purpose breeds.

Steve

Most people offer the feed free choice. Some take it up at night, which is fine if you are out there at the crack of dawn to return it to them.

Thank you. Maybe I will put out our unused dog food hopper for them. It holds 20 lb.s of food, so it should hold enough grub for the chooks. These are my first chickens ever & I worry so.

Hmmm.... not sure if the dog hopper was a good idea. They scratched at it & 20lb of crumble is all over the run. If they eat it all great. But if it all goes to waste... yikes.

Back
Top Bottom