1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much to feed young hens that have just started to lay eggs.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChiLady, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ChiLady

ChiLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Walton KY
    About how much feed should you give your laying hens? I have 3 hens that are just now starting to lay for their first time, I also have a rooster that is with them. How much should I be feeding 4 chickens in a days time? I let them free range in our back yard, but I don't know how much they are eating there. I want to be sure and not starve them, I feed them Dumor 16 % Layer poultry feed, but my husband tossed out the bag before I could read what it say about the amount you should feed. Any advise would be greatly welcomed. God bless

Francine

2. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    I think you would be okay letting them feed at will. I have the feeder supplied with feed at all times but I have never seen them gorge themselves. In addition to that I give them a regulated amount of scratch every day as a treat and supplement to the feed I use. There's not a fat chicken in the bunch.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I always have food and water available 24/7. They will be fine that way. Also they get up before I do and I always want them to have food available. They might get hungry waiting on me to get up.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree.

5. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    Chickens are like those skinny people who can eat all day and never gain a pound.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

funny funny

7. ChiLady

ChiLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Walton KY
    I didn't know that, maybe our scientist should be studying chickens to see how they can do this miracle. I know I need to know what they have that is helping them. LOL Thanks for all your input I will put down more feed for them then.

Francine

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Hi,

I noticed you said you were going to more feed "down" for them. If you're putting it on the ground, there will be a lot of waste as they trample it.

It would be better to put it in a feeder which is kept full at all times. Do a search here and you will find various homemade and purchased feeder ideas.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by