How much to feed?

Lisawbsn

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I have a flock of 10 pullets, 20 week old 2 EE, 2 BR, 2 Australorps, 1 BO, and 1 GLW. 1 cuckoo Maran 17 weeks, and 1 Jersey Giant 18 weeks. I feed Kalmbach Hen House Reserve layer feed, separate grit and oyster shell, black soldier fly larvae as a treat a couple times a week, fresh white clover and dandelion offered daily fruits and veggies several times a week and they enjoy bugs as they find them. They are free fed and go through 30lbs of feed every week and a half to two weeks. All are active, in beautiful feather, and are quickly approaching POL. Is this the correct amount of food?

So, if there is food available at all times (as you say you have it) and nothing else is getting into it (like mice, rats, wild birds, your dog, etc.), and they are not billing it out and wasting it, then whatever they're eating is what they need and is the appropriate and proper amount. Sounds like you can be looking for that first egg pretty soon now! Do you have golf balls in the nests to show them where to lay? Bet you're getting excited!
I have fake eggs.

I have a flock of 10 pullets, 20 week old 2 EE, 2 BR, 2 Australorps, 1 BO, and 1 GLW. 1 cuckoo Maran 17 weeks, and 1 Jersey Giant 18 weeks. I feed Kalmbach Hen House Reserve layer feed,
I agree with Folly's place.
They should be on a 18 to 20% Starter Grower feed free choice till at least one of each breed is laying after 18 weeks old, with Oyster Shells separately.
GC

So, if there is food available at all times (as you say you have it) and nothing else is getting into it (like mice, rats, wild birds, your dog, etc.), and they are not billing it out and wasting it, then whatever they're eating is what they need and is the appropriate and proper amount. Sounds like you can be looking for that first egg pretty soon now! Do you have golf balls in the nests to show them where to lay? Bet you're getting excited!

Our 20 hens go through a 40-lb bag of all-flock in about three weeks, so that sounds about right. We feed very little treats, just about a cup of scratch morning and afternoon and a handful of dried mealworms once a day. We used to give kitchen scraps but stopped when we learned that when they fill up on those things, they eat less of the balanced nutrition they need, resulting in a net loss of protein and other necessary nutrients. We get more eggs now. They do also free-range in the afternoon. We built a no-waste feeder out of a trash barrel and PVC elbows. That cut down on our feed bill considerably!
I should say, we got more eggs until they went into molt, lol.

I agree with Folly's place.
They should be on a 18 to 20% Starter Grower feed free choice till at least one of each breed is laying after 18 weeks old, with Oyster Shells separately.
GC
They were just switched over to layer feed last week and it’s a 50/50 mix with their grower feed. They aren’t picky and eat without picking out the goodies. I have a separate feeder with oysters shell next to their coop feeder. I have 4 girls ready to lay at any time and they are the only ones eating oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom