How much to feed???

chickenlady81

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Weare, NH
My chickens are around 2 1/2 months old. I'm feeding them Layer Pellets. I noticed today that some seems to be quite bonie in the front. Are they suppose to have a protuding breast bone at this age? Can I give them anything to help them get some fat on there bones? How much and how often do you feed around 14 chickens? Thanks in advance!
Kathie

Are you giving them as much pellets as they want?

Even though it is fine to take away food and water at night, all day they should have access to both food and water.

Mine go through the feed like crazy too, but I always make sure there is plenty for them. I go with the spoil them theory, especially at that age. Mine are 2 months old, I have 6 of them. I check the feeders about twice a day, and when they empty it, I give them some more. I don't restrict their feed, and they get plenty of treats. If they free range a while each day, they will eat less feed and find what they need outside.

Yes I fill up there feeding dish in the morning and check it in the afternoon to make sure there is still some pellets in there. By morning time they have it completly gone and I fill it back up again. Plus I free range them during the day.
I have 7 RIR and 6 Hamburgs plus one white bird that I dont know the breed.

correct me if im wrong but at 10 weeks shouldnt they still be on starter? its has more nutrients doesnt it.

eh...I was thinking the same. 'Layer feed' is precisely that...food for 'layers'! They should be on a starter food only at the minute and changed ONLY when they have started laying.
hmm.png

At 10 weeks the nutrient that they are getting waaaaay too much of in the layer feed is calcium. Layer feed has about 5 times more calcium than starter. Feeding too much calcium to young chickens can cause improper bone formation and even kidney failure.

Poultry Science at Auburn University

An interesting characteristic of the chicken's skeleton is medullary bone. This bone stores calcium which becomes available for eggshell formation. Medullary bone is found in the sternum, ribs and other bones in the skeleton.

Your pullets are a long way (in chicken years) from needing calcium for eggshells.

Steve

Thank you everyone for the imput. I'm going to go out today and get them more starter feed. This is my first time having chickens and the person at the feed and grain store told me to get layer pellets.
I think i might have some Roo's in the flock to. Feeding them layer pellets once the hens start laying is ok? Or should I try to give them something else?

Never had a roo so leave this one to the experts,but I imagine it is based also on age as I have noticed that fully grown roo's kept by people in here allow theirs to eat layer.
Please take the advice of the folks in here and NOT at the place you bought the last feed from.
Seems like they can't find their a*** for looking at their elbow!

Yes, yes, yes.... get them back on starter/grower as quickly as possible. The layer pellets is bad for them at this age. Don't put them back on the layer pellets until the first pullet has laid an egg or 20 weeks old.

You Roo can eat whatever the hens are eating. If they free range he'll get extra good stuff also.

Unfortunately feed store people can be dipsticks sometimes. Unless they have taken the time to research and learn or have personal experience they often just say anything to make a sale.

Back
Top Bottom