How much to ship a chicken?

Souperchicken

Songster
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
USA- Southwest
I'm not sure where to ask this question.....but My ladies recently lost their rooster. He was quite a gentleman and we are looking for a BO rooster to replace him. I'm considering buying one and having it shipped to me, but I've never done that before and was curious how much does shipping cost and is it worth it? The local IFA sells babies, but I'm wanting full grown and it looks like about a 2 hour drive one way to get one, so it makes sense to consider buying online and having it shipped. What is the price range for shipping? Is there a way to look it up? Thanks in advance!

You can go to the USPS site click on calculate postage, here is a link.
http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Put in the necessary information like select a shape, weight zip code to and from, day of shipping, box dimensions, You will want to use the express price when shipping live birds. It will tell you exactly how much it will cost you, and how long it will take. The only thing you will need to guess at is the weight of the bird plus box.

Also, unless the seller has a box, you will have to have one shipped to them, this can also get pricey.

Good luck.
K.

Thanks everyone for the response and the link. It never occurred to me to just call the Post office. Yeah, it looks like picking it up will probably be easier. Interesting, how I live in the country yet have to travel to the big city to get the chicken I want. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom