How much to treat chicks with Corid 9.6% solution

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbourget, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Well i have heard all kinds of numbers, mainly 2 tsp per 1 gallon of drink water how many CC/ml does that equal out to. and how long? 7 days? or 21? a few are much smaller then thier hatchmates and are not growing/ occastional bloody poo so i need to get them straightened out.

Also will they always have the disease now? just come out of the symptoms from it?? should these birds not be used to hatch eggs from this summer?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't used it and only had cocci once. A bag of medicated (amprolium) feed cleared it up.
    They'll always have it but if it doesn't kill them I wouldn't worry. Coccidia is like air - it's everywhere.
    I don't see why you can't use the birds for breeding. They can't pass it on to offspring in eggs. It's passed from the feces.

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    For the 9.6% use 2 tsp in 1 gallon water for 5 to 7 days. If they have cocci and are going to survive they should perk up quickly, within the first day or two. If you see bloody stools I would use the Corid for sure.

ETA: And no reason not to use these chickens for hatching, meat, whatever.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by