How much trouble to breed cornish rocks for hatchlings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Orange Ribbon, May 13, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I have 2 cornish rocks. They are around 6 weeks or so and I planned to put them in some chicken and dumplings pretty soon. I think one is a rooster and the other a hen. Poult. Heifer. Whatever. [​IMG] ANYWAY, a friend wanted to know if I would keep them and raise chicks so he could have some. Well, I wouldn't mind doing that, but wondered if there might be some difficulty in doing that since they get so big so fast. Looks like one would have to put them on a special diet to keep them healthy enough to make it to breeding age. Would the big hen break the eggs? Is artificial insemination involved? Could be more trouble than it is worth to me.

2. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    My neighbor raises crosses every year fro meat, she said that they can never make it to adulthood, they get too big too fast and their legs give out or they have heart attaches.......... so I would guess you could try it, but I don't think you will have much luck. just my Opinion and I ain't no expert, this is my first time raising chickens of my own, but I have taken care of friends and neighbors chickens/ ducks/ turkeys for a long time already. They are pretty cheap to buy also, around here 1.50 a chick, and I think feeding them for a year would probably cost more than there worth. Kim

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Cornish rocks are mixed breed birds, so even if they bred and you hatched the eggs you wouldn't get cornish x. You'd get a mixed breed bird who will not grow as fast as the parents. And they will likely die of health problems before they reach breeding age, or soon after.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey, I sure appreciate the information. That is some good stuff to know.

Thanks a bunch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by