How much ventilation do I need......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Woodcox Acre, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    We have just built a new coop and I would like to know, how you know how much ventilation
    we need. Our coop is 8 by 6 and 7' at the highest part. What about those roof vents? You know
    the whirley ones. I would appreciate any suggestions

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    I tried roof vents and could not keep ahead of the leaks. I finally removed the roof-top vents and went with vents along the wall just under the roof.

As far as how much vent you need,you'll need more than you think. Our coop is 4' deep and 12' long and I have venting 6" high by 4' long along the back wall and 12" high by 2' long on the front over the door that's open all winter.

I have about that much more that stays open in the summer plus a 24"x24" window and 12"x36" vent above the roosts.

Our roosts are across one end and the vents that stay open in the winter are on the other end of the coop so the chickens are not exposed to wind and drafts in the winter.

Chickens create a lot of heat and moisture,even in very cold weather so one way to tell if you need more vent area is to watch for sweating/condensation inside the coop. If sweat is forming on the walls or roof you really do need more venting. That moisture is what causes frostbite and respiratory illness.

4. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    Thank you all so much, that is very helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by