How much ventilation should I have.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theacw, Jul 11, 2011.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    I have a 6x6x6 coop with two hens.

I have 3 windows that can be used for summer months so I am talking more vents for winter.

I live in MN so it gets COLD obviously. The lucky girls have electricity in the coop so I will keep it fairly warm... not freezing (what do you suggest I try to keep it at?) but just wondering how much ventilation you think I should have in it. I may have up to 5 in this coop in the far future so I will build for that amount I guess.

I have those basic vents from fleet farm that are maybe 5 inches by 12 inches.... How many of those do you suggest? Do I put them as far up as I can to prevent drafts? Should I put the most of them on one wall or split them up regardless of one wall having a door and a window?

Any other advice will be appreciated!!!! Sooo new to this and nervous!

2. Chop33

Chop33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Crofton, Kentucky
    I put vents on three of my walls and the coop door is on the fourth. Its great to get all the ventilation you can this time of year. I put them at the top of the coop to let the heat escape and when my chickens are on the roost they can see out. I got doors on all my vents so in winter i can close them. I don't know if I helped or not but good luck with the coop![​IMG]

3. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Thanks for replying! Good tips [​IMG]

4. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I was about to post the above link from Pat -- excellent information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by