How much water does waterfowl need?

Jennsbirds

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Bay Area
How much water would waterfowl (pair of ducks, pair of geese. Maybe another bird if possible) actually need?

I want to spend my non-bird time designing stuff for them, and my family has done plumbing and even pond maintenance before (a pair of ducks moved in after the big sump-pump and the tiny pond wasn't ruined at all. They left--or died--thanks to the raccoons). What's the minimum of water needed for those birds?

The biggest problem was plants disappearing overnight. I'd like to know about how to protect those too, if possible. I need those to keep the soil and rocks in place and help filter the nitrogen out a bit.

I've looked over half the pages for fun but couldn't find anything on how much water each water fowl will need (or anything on plants).

Pretty picures though.
I'm not sure what you mean by how much they will need, are you talking about in gallons per day? and as far as plants about the only way you can have plants safely with ducks/ geese it to some how fence them off from them. Most of us use kiddy pools for our ducks and geese, but there are some who are blessed enough to have ponds and lakes at their water fowls disposal,which can present a whole different set of problems. Hopefully others will see your post and offer advise.

Calculating pond volume seems to be an imprecise art, from what I have seen here.

Most seem to go by instinct, based on their available space and abilities.

Some things to consider are that waterfowl rapidly enrich pond water, and so regular cleaning or a system of removing wastes needs to be developed. Some of it depends on the climate. The warmer, the more rapidly the water can become nasty.

Ducks and geese can puncture some liners with their claws.

Larger, woody perennials seem to be able to coexist with ducks once the former are well established. Smaller, herbaceous plants may be eaten to the ground or pulled up.

I use about 15 gallons per kiddie pool per two days in cooler weather, per day in warmer weather, twice a day on some very hot days.

For drinking, four to eight gallons a day for a flock of four buffs and nine runners.

Calculating pond volume seems to be an imprecise art, from what I have seen here.

Most seem to go by instinct, based on their available space and abilities.

Some things to consider are that waterfowl rapidly enrich pond water, and so regular cleaning or a system of removing wastes needs to be developed. Some of it depends on the climate. The warmer, the more rapidly the water can become nasty.

Ducks and geese can puncture some liners with their claws.

Larger, woody perennials seem to be able to coexist with ducks once the former are well established. Smaller, herbaceous plants may be eaten to the ground or pulled up.

I use about 15 gallons per kiddie pool per two days in cooler weather, per day in warmer weather, twice a day on some very hot days.

For drinking, four to eight gallons a day for a flock of four buffs and nine runners.
We're hoping to use two bathtubs, so there's no puncturing. :) That will mean plumbing, but that was hoped for. Those will be enough, right?

Also, any hints on how to protect plants (or bottom dwellers)? I'll feed my flock and let 'em have as much duck weed as they want, but I'd like to save a water lily or something big and leafy (forgot the name).

Our six Pekins and five Welshies seem to get in each others way from time to time on our 2.5 acre pond. Don't know if you can ever really have enough water to keep em happy all the time. LOL

Back
Top Bottom