How much water is too much?

Earthling3

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2022
Hi!

I have a lone hatcher, 3 week old embden female.

She’s the only gosling I’ve ever had so I’m not quite sure what’s normal.

She drinks quite a lot of water and I’m wondering how much is too much? Should I be offering it freely?

She has fairly liquidy poops often, but so does my adult goose, so I’m wondering if that’s normal.

She also has liquid comes out of her nose sometimes when she shakes her head. It’s not mucus and it’s not only just after she drinks.

She likes sleeping near her water and drinks in the night.

She also makes a slight clicking sound sometimes as she’s falling asleep. I only hear it when she’s on my lap.

Otherwise behaviourally she’s absolutely splendid!

She’s had a couple of tricky things to content with health-wise so far in life.

She had a tricky hatch, a big blister on her back and her umbilical scab didn’t want to fall- a little of it is still attached to her down.

I’m wondering am I fretting about nothing or is this something?

She’s not currently got grit in her diet and she’s just starting to venture into the world outside the brooder. She’s yet to have her first bath due to the prolonged navel scab.

I’m planning to start of VetRX but only want to do so if it’s the right thing for her. What do you think?

Is this a problem or is she just being a gosling?

When I say a lot of water, I mean she has a 300ml bucket and it’s filled about 3-5 times a day, but that includes splashing around, spillage and cleaning out dirty.

Here she is

Attachments

• IMG_9539.jpeg
    IMG_9539.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 4
She’s normal, they do love their sips!

I wouldn’t limit her access to water personally. If it’s too messy at night you can remove it as long as you also remove her food dish and make sure she doesn’t overheat. Goslings metabolisms are tricky so one moment they can be cold and the next they can be panting, free access to water can help alleviate that so if you do remove it for the night just make sure you check on her now and then.

She’s normal, they do love their sips!

I wouldn’t limit her access to water personally. If it’s too messy at night you can remove it as long as you also remove her food dish and make sure she doesn’t overheat. Goslings metabolisms are tricky so one moment they can be cold and the next they can be panting, free access to water can help alleviate that so if you do remove it for the night just make sure you check on her now and then.
Thank you!
I’ve sized up her water trug today, so I’ve put a bowl in the middle to prevent her going for an unsupervised swim.

Back
Top Bottom