1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Much

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hawkly88, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Hawkly88

Hawkly88 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    I am just starting out and my chicks are about 28 weeks and laying eggs. My question is how much do you feed the chicks? I have 8 hens and one rooster. I have a feeder that is full all the time as well as water and they eat at their leisure. I feed them vegetables in the morning before I go to work. I do not feed them at nigght because they have pellets through the day. Should I be feeding more to them

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most people here feed free choice, and they won't eat after dark, anyway. They should be fine.

3. Hawkly88

Hawkly88 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    That is what I thought. I am glad to hear that the stuff that k am doing is right

4. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    As long as they have free choice feed in a feeder they will eat till their full and sleep well all night long. You don't have to worry about them not having enough or overeating. You don't have to worry either if they don't get any vegetables one day either as the pellets feed free choice is enough to keep them healthy and laying plenty of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by