How My Breeds Each Handle the Arizona Desert Heat

Outta Here

Songster
May 17, 2021
On a hot day in the desert of Arizona, I noticed some of my chickens were handling the heat fine and others weren't. They were all outside in the shade resting (any could have gone inside to an air-conditioned barn). Of my breeds, this is how they reacted to the heat:

Sapphire Gems, RIRs, Leghorn, Bielefelders: Not panting or lifting wings, apparently unaffected.
Barred Rocks, Blue Lace Red Wyandottes: Slightly panting, lifting wings.
Easter Egger: Panting a lot, lifting wings, very uncomfortable.

On a hot day in the desert of Arizona, I noticed some of my chickens were handling the heat fine and others weren't. They were all outside in the shade resting (any could have gone inside to an air-conditioned barn). Of my breeds, this is how they reacted to the heat:

Sapphire Gems, RIRs, Leghorn, Bielefelders: Not panting or lifting wings, apparently unaffected.
Barred Rocks, Blue Lace Red Wyandottes: Slightly panting, lifting wings.
Easter Egger: Panting a lot, lifting wings, very uncomfortable.
That's good to know, because I will be looking into getting some Bielefelder's soon.

That's good to know, because I will be looking into getting some Bielefelder's soon.
I bought the Bielefelder rooster at one year old and the pullet at 12 weeks--they had been living in Phoenix, which is about 20 degrees hotter than where I live. Maybe they were already acclimated? But we get over 100 sometimes and I've yet to see them look bothered by it.

I bought the Bielefelder rooster at one year old and the pullet at 12 weeks--they had been living in Phoenix, which is about 20 degrees hotter than where I live. Maybe they were already acclimated? But we get over 100 sometimes and I've yet to see them look bothered by it.
Do you happen to know if they have any more that I might be able to buy?

I just sent an email to the person who sold them to me to ask. I wouldn't have bought off Craigslist unless I looked over the nice, clean, uncrowded premises and asked lots of questions. These had come from hatching eggs from McMurray's. But there are others in Tucson who are selling. https://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/d/tucson-bielefelder-chicks/7358036567.html
I seen that one in Tucson, but my home phone doesn't do any texting, and that person wanted contact by texting only.

The lady called back and left a voicemail to say she has a hatch coming up but most of the pullets are spoken for. She will be incubating Bielefelder chicks regularly. She gave me her number (which is also on Craigslist) and said to call her back. If you want to contact her for some chicks (to get your name on the list), she does respond by phone, not just text. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom