How (not what) Do You Feed Larger Batches of Broilers

Those using gutters,
Do you have a provision to remove them for cleaning? How do you keep rain out? Do the birds try to roost in them? Do you move them up as the birds grow?
Thanks

Quote:
4X4s?

Soooo... do you move that thing often?
lol.png

Quote:
I have a tarp over my pen so if it rains I just pull it forward but I keep the feeders towards the back where the tarp is always on.
You can easily unscrew them for cleaning but I don't know why you would need to, at least not until the batch is processed.

Quote:
Yes, the gutters are put up on the same holders as you'd use if you were putting them on your house. The hangers they put in the middle(not the ends) just snap in. So I use these so the gutter snaps in and out. Just hose them out and bleach once in a while.

You keep the rain out by putting a tarp over the tractor. I showed a picture without so you could see better.

They don't roost in them,but try to climb on to eat. Mostly when they are younger. I try to put them up high so they have to stretch to get them. You could make it so they are moveable as they grow,if you wanted.

I think the gutters are the best troughs you can get. I've used the same ones for over 8 years. I use the same ones from the time they come out of the brooder I just put them on short pieces of 2x4,2x6,2x8 depending on the height I want. You won't find a more practical and economical feeder. Round feeders just don't have the room to have them stand around as they grow. I walk in the pen with a 5 gallon pail and a scoop. 2 or 3 swipes per trough and their full. Their going to swarm whatever you have,but a long straight trough gives more room than a round. Then while they are lined all along the sides you can walk in with plenty of room to hang your water founts. JMHO Will
p.s. I have plenty of pics on "my pages"

chickenpens.jpg

babychicks021.jpg

Quote:
4X4s?

lol.png

No the thing is 8x8s....
lol.png
I move it every feeding,since it has wheels and you only have to move it 8ft each time it's not a big feat.It takes about 30 seconds. Will

Last edited:
Quote:
4X4s?

lol.png

No the thing is 8x8s....
lol.png
I move it every feeding,since it has wheels and you only have to move it 8ft each time it's not a big feat.It takes about 30 seconds. Will

Those are 8x8's it's framed with?? Oh my god! Haha, one of your posts weighs more than my entire tractor! Your coops look VERY well built, but I can't imagine moving that thing! Course, my ground is a bit more uneven that what it looks like you've got, and I have some pretty sandy spots.

Last edited:
Quote:
No the thing is 8x8s....
lol.png

Those are 8x8's it's framed with?? Oh my god! Haha, one of your posts weighs more than my entire tractor! Your coops look VERY well built, but I can't imagine moving that thing! Course, my ground is a bit more uneven that what it looks like you've got, and I have some pretty sandy spots.

Honey he's saying 64sqft, 8 ft X 8ft, not 8x8 boards....
gig.gif

Quote:

gig.gif

Haha, oops- that's what I get for not reading close enough!

Quote:
No the thing is 8x8s....
lol.png

No,I took the "4x4s" as 4 foot x 4 foot square. That's usually what an s means after a number with no ' between them. If your looking for the lumber size most of it is rough cut 1x4's(that's 1 inch thick and 4 inches wide) Will

Quote:
gig.gif

Haha, oops- that's what I get for not reading close enough!

Yes yesm beautiful, brainy and butchers.... no wonder there's been 3 mr saddis eh?

Back
Top Bottom