How often and how much should I feed ducklings 6 weeks and over?

They are growing in leaps and bounds, inside and out. I have kept food with water available 24/7 except for a short time when the ducklings were till in the brooder, at about eight to ten weeks old, I took the food and water out of the brooder overnight (8 hours max) because I did not have the water management perfected.

I know now how I could have made it work. Anyway, they are back to food and water 24/7, and they are over four years old. They are such prolific layers - I want them well fed.

Last edited:
I am wondering the same thing. How do people manage older ducklings and ducks. Do they get free food access like chickens? I would like to keep the food and water out of their nighttime house.

I am wondering the same thing. How do people manage older ducklings and ducks. Do they get free food access like chickens? I would like to keep the food and water out of their nighttime house.

I am also wondering that. Also if you free feed 24/7 does it make them stop foraging for the bugs and other great things around. I know with my chickens I try to only feed them once a day usually their night feeding which is around 3 or 4 pm and the rest of the day they are out foraging for foods in the grass and pastures. If they have free feed would they stop foraging and just sit and eat all day?

"If they free feed would they stop foraging?"

Not in my experience! I had runners, campbells and muscovies. You turn the muscovies out and in an hour there wouldn't be a single dandelion bloom! I never had much success with them eating slugs but they loved to get worms out of the compost pile. The hardest thing for me with ducks was keeping their water clean. That is why I don't keep them anymore.

"If they free feed would they stop foraging?"

Not in my experience! I had runners, campbells and muscovies. You turn the muscovies out and in an hour there wouldn't be a single dandelion bloom! I never had much success with them eating slugs but they loved to get worms out of the compost pile. The hardest thing for me with ducks was keeping their water clean. That is why I don't keep them anymore.
Okay good. I am getting my first ducklings on June 18th and so I am haunting the forum to learn all I can before they get here.

They are a riot, a messy, splashing wet riot. You'll love them.
big_smile.png
I know I can't wait until they get here!

Back
Top Bottom