How often and how much should I feed ducklings 6 weeks and over?

I think it's normal for ducks to have a big appetite
I've raised 2 pekins from 1 week old, they are now going on almost 5 months old and haven't slowed their eating habits

I've always left food in their coop to eat as they please. They don't seem to be overweight or anything, so I figure they self regulate how much they eat.

I have always done free choice till about 2mths i just pulled my pekin's food for overnight.. left water but that will go too, makes a mess indoors, but during the day they have access to feed(unlimited) and forage.

Ducks are basically fully grown by 9+wks so up till that point require quite the intake.. do yours have access to forage?

Last edited:
Well, sometimes we let them out for a bit in our backyard when we clean their coop. They aren't very successful at foraging and they just end up having really dirty bills. Also, if I don't have enough time to refill their bowls every time they finish eating, whats the minimum amount of times I can refill the bowl each day?

Well, sometimes we let them out for a bit in our backyard when we clean their coop. They aren't very successful at foraging and they just end up having really dirty bills. Also, if I don't have enough time to refill their bowls every time they finish eating, whats the minimum amount of times I can refill the bowl each day?

I free choice, so i would ensure they have access throughout the day.. ducks IMO are fine at regulating themselves. Dirty bills? yep, very normal and good for them, they love billing through mud, they get all sorts of things from it, i would continue to encourage the foraging, they are young and with no others to show where to go, it will take time.

I have several feeders out to feed the big flock.... they also range all day long into almost night, just get feeders that hold more.. i have two 50lbs feeders, one 25lb and a large long trough lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom