how often are broody hens broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sydney13, Jun 20, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have cochin, silkie, orpington, and a few other broody breeds so im wondering how often the broody breeds are broody? is it about every other week? and when you take the eggs away how long before they stop being broody?

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Taking the eggs away won't make them stop being broody. You can look up ways to "break a broody" but they don't always work... the other thing you can do is give them fertilized eggs to hatch, or let them sit for a week and then give them newly hatched chicks (stick them under the hen at night).

My silkies were broody... I gave them chicks, and when the chicks were about... hrm... 2 months old? the silkies started laying again, and then went broody again after 2 or 3 weeks.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had no idea that Ameraucanas constantly went broody. I'm finding it out now.

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    You've got to cool down that broody belly, if you want to stop the broodiness. There are lots of posts about this. I have a blue wyandotte that went broody right after she began laying eggs. She gets broody pretty often.

5. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Songster

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I have 3 BR bantams broody right now. This is the second time this year for all three. I have one bantam raising two chicks, so no eggs there either. That only leaves three non-broody bantams and one of the three was just broke from being broody and hasn't started to lay yet! So, that leaves me with just two that are laying. One of the two is older and is only laying about 3-4 times a week. Grrrrr. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by