1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how often candle eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zyklonbetty, Sep 19, 2011.

1. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Hi, I have 12 eggs in my incubator right now and upon candling them on day 9, have only 4 that seem to be developing. I was wonder if i can candle them every day or if there is a safe amount to candle...

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:You can candle as many times as you want...I wouldn't recommend it though. I candle on day 6-7..then on day 10 or 11 then day 18-just before lockdown and that's pretty much it. I don't like messing with temps and humidity from opening the bator to much. Besides, after you go through it like 100 times...you become more patient and just let mother nature take its course;) Now that was a long road to get to! There's no need to candle everyday except for your own curiosity...

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

if you candle every day you risk dropping the eggs or adding bacteria to them.. however it's your choice

personally I candle them when I set them (to check for bad yolks and hairline cracks)
    on day 7 or 10 depending on the type of bird and the color of the egg shell (light colored chicken eggs get candled on day 7. dark shells and ducks, turkeys get candled on day 10)
    and I candle at lockdown

and if the egg doesn't hatch I candle it at the end of incubation/hatch to see if the egg is bad.. if it looks like a "good egg" i will check to see where the air cell is so I know where to make an observation hole to determine the health/status of the chick

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Unless they are white eggs I favor candling at days 10 and 18 for chicken eggs. Days 10 and 25 for turkey. The colored shells are harder to see clearly with so I like to wait a bit to be sure of what I've got. For white eggs I favor candling at days 7 and 18.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    11days & at 18 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by