How often change pine shavings?

xjonesy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Utah
Well, I finally did it -- I bought 6 chicks and have them in a large brown box in the garage. I covered the bottom of the box with newspaper and and then a good inch of pine shavings on top of the newspaper.

My question: how often should I be changing the pine shavings and newspaper to keep it clean for the chicks? I want to keep them healthy, but I can't change it every day. I've been adding a small layer of pine shavings over their manure each day to at least keep them from pecking at it.

Any suggestions or insight?

Thanks,
Excited in Utah

Your on the right track. As long as it stays dry it will last a while. I would change it after about a week or so though. Good Luck.
P.S. They will peck at and eat the poo. It's ok though. It actually helps them get their digestive system working.

Last edited:
If there in a big enough box i would say at least once a week I usually change mine every weekend I have 8 in a 6ft x 2ft wide reptile tank but this weekend they are moving outside for good

Interesting. Thanks for the info...that makes me feel a little better. I was getting worried watching them peck at it.

I was also worried when I saw some in the water -- I was changing the water every time I saw some poop in there.

Can you tell I'm a first timer?
smile.png

Scoop out any wet spots and add a little more. Change it when it wont stay dry anymore or when it smells.

I prefer cozynfresh bedding from TSC- it stays fresher longer and dries fast and completely, much better than shavings.

Soon those babies will be scratching all the time, so putting down a thin layer on top of the old won't work.

Enjoy them now - soon they will be dropping big smelly poo.

In the beginning I layered new on old but beginning at 3 wks I change out all litter once a week.

I have seven 3 week old bantams and I change their shavings once every 2 daysish? Sometimes 3.

They're in a large metal dog crate and tend to throw everything out the sides, so they kinda clean it out for me
roll.png
I have to add new shavings every day (so they can kick them all over the floor for entertainment).

you'll be suprised in 2 or 3 weeks how much more they poop. Mine went out to the shed after a couple weeks, they grow so fast at first and I couldnt do the smell in the house any longer. I cleaned it once a week at first till it wasnt enough anymore.

With 6 chicks, you can probably change it about every 3 days. As they get older, you might have to go to every other day. keep the water cleared. I used to use pine shavings, but it worked me to death with the more chicks I raised.

This year I have 40 chicks I hatched out, and I decided to go completely with sanitized [playground] quartz sand. I had used it with larger groups last year. I just buy it in the 50 lb bags and it is cheaper than the pine shavings. Gosh, the sand is a lot easier to keep clean & dry; I use a kitchen sifter, fine enough for the sand to pass through but not for the poop. I am able to recycle the sand. Of course, there I am sifting sand to get out the poop. They are in my basement in kiddie swimming pools, welded wire doubled over in a circle the shape of the pool. So far, so good. Going on 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I started using cardboard last year,, working my butt off cleaning daily..

Then I ran across these big plastic containers at Wal-Mart .. Put whatever you need in bottom.. Whenever you need to clean it is a breeze..

When chicks, turkeys, etc.. got big enough to fly up on edge, I put some wire on top..

This is the easiest that I have found..

Back
Top Bottom