How often do ducks need water to swim in?

I have 4 small ducks with my hens. Last summer, the ducks had a concrete mixing tub (pic attached) that I picked up at Home Depot. It was pretty easy to clean. Emptied old water into a 5-gallon bucket, and refreshed it every day. This winter, I'm using a black rubber feed tub that I bought at a local feed/grain, etc. store. Maybe 3-gallon size, so it's easy to give the ducks fresh water every day. Either way, both are easy to maintain and get fresh water every day.

concrete-mixing-tubs-26101-64_1000.jpg

@johntfs it's not just the oils, but they still have their baby down, which like chickens, is much different from the hard outer adult feathers they grow. Once a bird has those hard adult feathers, in addition to their down fluff underneath, they are able to much better regulate their body temperature. This is true for chickens and ducks which is why being fully feathered is typically the reference point for when they can be off heat and out of the brooder.

I have 4 small ducks with my hens. Last summer, the ducks had a concrete mixing tub (pic attached) that I picked up at Home Depot. It was pretty easy to clean. Emptied old water into a 5-gallon bucket, and refreshed it every day. This winter, I'm using a black rubber feed tub that I bought at a local feed/grain, etc. store. Maybe 3-gallon size, so it's easy to give the ducks fresh water every day. Either way, both are easy to maintain and get fresh water every day.

View attachment 2025657
that's what @Runner duck mom has too. It works great for her ducks, easy to clean and they put it up on a platform and made a drain in it with a ball valve so it's really easy to empty and clean.

@johntfs it's not just the oils, but they still have their baby down, which like chickens, is much different from the hard outer adult feathers they grow. Once a bird has those hard adult feathers, in addition to their down fluff underneath, they are able to much better regulate their body temperature. This is true for chickens and ducks which is why being fully feathered is typically the reference point for when they can be off heat and out of the brooder.

I pretty much knew that, but I was specifically referencing the oils in terms of water/swimming. Those oils are why we have the saying, "like water off a duck's back."

Our cement mixing tub works great and is really sturdy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-4...00553}+qu:{45+gallon+mixing+tub}:qu+nf:{1}:nfWe have a small pool deck to keep it level and added a 1" bulkhead fitting to drain and attached a hose so all the water drains outside of the run. They spend most of their day hanging out around the pool and like to play in the water when we drain it.
We let our ducks out to run in the yard every day while we clean their run and they have come to expect it and start quacking their little heads off around the same time every day. I'm thinking that if you are letting your ducks out 5 days a week they are going to tell you they want to come out the other 2 days as well...especially if it means swim time :)
20190122_151517~2.jpg

Our cement mixing tub works great and is really sturdy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-4...00553}+qu:{45+gallon+mixing+tub}:qu+nf:{1}:nfWe have a small pool deck to keep it level and added a 1" bulkhead fitting to drain and attached a hose so all the water drains outside of the run. They spend most of their day hanging out around the pool and like to play in the water when we drain it.
We let our ducks out to run in the yard every day while we clean their run and they have come to expect it and start quacking their little heads off around the same time every day. I'm thinking that if you are letting your ducks out 5 days a week they are going to tell you they want to come out the other 2 days as well...especially if it means swim time :)View attachment 2026014
The chickens are already trained to know when its time to be let out. On weekends, we usually let them out in the morning and let them run all day. On weekdays I wait until I am home from work. Only time they don't get out at all is if I get home from work after dark, or if I am away for the weekend.

The chickens are already trained to know when its time to be let out. On weekends, we usually let them out in the morning and let them run all day. On weekdays I wait until I am home from work. Only time they don't get out at all is if I get home from work after dark, or if I am away for the weekend.
So much easier in the summer when the days are longer and it doesn't get dark so early :)

Personally I'd not have the three species living together. Separate housing is needed.
I don't keep swimming pools in my pen. I have kiddie pools out all summer for when my Ducks are let out for a few hours a day.
My Ducks are fed and watered from rubber livestock bowls twice a day I dump and fill the water.

Back
Top Bottom