How often do ducks need water to swim in?

Our cement mixing tub works great and is really sturdy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-4...00553}+qu:{45+gallon+mixing+tub}:qu+nf:{1}:nfWe have a small pool deck to keep it level and added a 1" bulkhead fitting to drain and attached a hose so all the water drains outside of the run. They spend most of their day hanging out around the pool and like to play in the water when we drain it.
We let our ducks out to run in the yard every day while we clean their run and they have come to expect it and start quacking their little heads off around the same time every day. I'm thinking that if you are letting your ducks out 5 days a week they are going to tell you they want to come out the other 2 days as well...especially if it means swim time :)View attachment 2026014
Oooh, that's a nice BIG mixing tub! The one I used last summer for my 4 small ducks was about 10 gallons, and sometimes by the end of the day, after all their splashing, it was down to nearly nothing. This size would be perfect for my outside run area (overhead netting) and the drain is a brilliant idea! I really like the mixing tubs. They're very sturdy (vs. kiddie pools).

This is what we have now. Easy to put together, easy to disassembled. It's very flexible for easy cleaning. And obviously s hit.
20200214_165057.jpg

This is what we have now. Easy to put together, easy to disassembled. It's very flexible for easy cleaning. And obviously s hit.View attachment 2026416
Will it hold up year round. I don’t leave water In my kiddy looks when I know it’s going to freeze but I am wondering how the material holds up?

I have a few kiddy pools that are cracking, I think I'll replace with these tubs instead.
This is our 2nd winter with this tub and so far so good with no cracking. We keep it full all winter, here it will only freeze on top so we can just break up the ice when needed. Since it's black I'm sure it helps to melt any ice a little faster.
This is what we have now. Easy to put together, easy to disassembled. It's very flexible for easy cleaning. And obviously s hit.View attachment 2026416
We had the same pool and the ducks loved it! It's deep enough they can dive and the material is great for them to grip on to get in and out. Such pretty ducks!
Will it hold up year round. I don’t leave water In my kiddy looks when I know it’s going to freeze but I am wondering how the material holds up?
We had ours for 2 years, one winter we had a foot of snow and it was ok. Probably would have lasted longer but we made the mistake of dragging it over the yard and it got a hole. But...we cleaned it up and used it as a brooder for our newest ducklings :)

We had the same pool and the ducks loved it! It's deep enough they can dive and the material is great for them to grip on to get in and out. Such pretty ducks!

We had ours for 2 years, one winter we had a foot of snow and it was ok. Probably would have lasted longer but we made the mistake of dragging it over the yard and it got a hole. But...we cleaned it up and used it as a brooder for our newest ducklings :)
This is great to know. Our other one only lasted one year.

And thank you for the compliment!

We are getting ducks and geese later this spring, and although they will have access to drinking water, I do not have a pool in the coop/run they will be sharing with the chickens. We usually let the chickens out every afternoon when I get home from work to free range for a few hours before dark. I can have a swimming pool for the ducks outside the coop/run for them to swim in at that time. But is that long enough? And if they do not get let out for a couple days straight, and only have access to drinking water, will that be a problem?
They need a body of water. Most of their life is spent in water not to mention the fact that it helps with preventing injuries, makes legs stronger, and prevents dehydrated skin. It’s not humane to get a WATER fowl.. and not have water.

Back
Top Bottom