How often do grown roosters crow?

My roo crows ALOT more when there are other roos within earshot. When he's by himself, he crows at first light, and sometimes at me when I'm outside...otherwise he only crows at my dogs when they start barking! It's like he's telling them to shut up!
lol.png
haa haa! Cuz they are WAY more obnoxious than he is!! We had a big RIR roo here for a few days, and they would have crowing contests all day long - I'm sure my neighbors LOVED it! haa haa haa

I have wondered about this crowing thing too. Mine seems to crow in the morning and when he sees me. I talk to him when he crows telling him; " good boy Jerry"! Will that encourage him to crow more?

Karen

Mine too crows at first light .
I will have to time his crows .. but during the day he's rather quiet. but i gave him a lady friend and he follows her around. but so far not dating LoL but does cover her with his wing as the sleep in the corner of their coop.

I'm new to chicken farming so this thread is exactly what I was looking for. I have two EE roosters, both less then a yr old. My Alpha rooster crows all day long, I'd said at least twice an hr and for around 5-10 minutes each time. I'm in a rural area and my neighbors both are former farmers that have raised chickens so they understand the crowing but I still feel it's a bit much and may have to make some stew out of my boys before long. I didn't realize that crowing was an all day thing, thought it was just in the morning. Rookie mistake I guess.

I am just trying to figure out if I need to get rid of him or not. I don't want complaints from neighbors. We live on an acre and have neighbors on both sides.

Thanks.
J.
Im on same boat. I, myself , don't mind my rooster crowing but I think I'm going to have to ask each neighbor if they are ok with him. I want to keep him.

We have a rooster within earshot and so ours talks to theirs that's about 1/2 a mile away all day long. Both my neighbors have big dogs that occasionally go nuts barking and carrying on so they have no real gripe. But both say they love hearing the rooster. We're in the county though, but our 'yards' are fairly close.

We have our first young cockerel only, so he's not yet started to crow. But we also have a neighbor with another rooster within earshot, so I have wondered if they may be having some long-distance "conversations" lol.

We have our first young cockerel only, so he's not yet started to crow. But we also have a neighbor with another rooster within earshot, so I have wondered if they may be having some long-distance "conversations" lol.
I always think the other rooster is trying to woo my hens from afar and my rooster has to respond immediately to let them know he's on the job. Really have no idea since I've never had a hen break the flock to go find her far away rooster love. But they do make a racket competing with each other.

I love having a rooster, but I would NOT want him outside my house. I like to here the crow where it is far enough away, that if I am listening for it, I can hear it, and if I don't want to hear it, I can easily ignore it.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom