How often do Peking Ducks lay eggs?

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I have two peking ducks and have found a total of three days over the last three months. They are both one year old. Do they lay eggs regularly like chickens? How often do they lay? I am afraid that maybe my POt Bellied Pigs are getting to them first since I have only gotten three eggs. It might be time to give them their own area.

Mine lay every single day, even in the winter time. I would say out of 365 days, we got eggs 340 days and that may be on the low side. No artificial lights either. I was surprised in the winter time when every day we would go outside and in their house were 3 eggs from our Pekins.

I wanted to add that if you have had your Pekins for a year and haven't gotten any or very few eggs, you either have a male, they're hiding their eggs and you should look for a nesting area, you have a predator that's eating them before you can get to them, or maybe you're not feeding properly. My Pekins are on Mazuri breeder.

Laurie

Last edited:
Pekin's are very good egg layer's.I found that mine laid more mid to late winter Through summer however than they did fall.I live on the East Coast so may have something to do with climate how many they lay per season.You will be getting more egg's than you can deal with soon enough.
hu.gif
.I just got 6 new Pekin babies from TSC can't wait to get my duck flock back up and flourishing.Are you going to hatch or eat the egg's?.They make great cake's.I used to sell a lot for baking.Good Luck hope you get lot's.DG

Well I quess I better move the ducks out of the chicken run away from the pot bellied pigs. The pigs do not eat the chicken eggs because the nest boxes are sectioned off from the pigs. Do Pekin ducks use nest boxes? If so, what size should I make?

People don't always have much luck training ducks to lay in nest boxes. What kind of set up do your ducks have to live in? One strategy to be able to find eggs is to keep them confined in their house or pen until they have laid. Usually ducks lay their eggs first thing in the morning so you let them out and the eggs are there for you.
My ducks have houses with nest boxes and they almost always use them before I let them out before 6:45 am. Ducks usually like the nest box to be just a little elevated from the main floor of their shelter, only an inch or two is fine. In one of my houses the nest box is only about 12'' wide and the width of the house, about three feet. The other is about 18" also 3 feet wide. They are basically just a board separating an area off with extra bedding in it. The main trick was to put several wooden eggs from a craft store together in the nest box before the start of laying season. Then they just took to laying their eggs with the wooden ones. It seems like they all take turns using the same spot.

My little Pekin has been laying since August. She has sat a few times- but keeps breaking the eggs- but within a week of stopping sitting she was laying again each time. I have taken about 50 for incubating- and she just keeps going. She is about three years old now- but hasnt laid for this long as she has been susscessful in hatching herself some babies in previous seasons.

Back
Top Bottom