How often do turkeys lay eggs & what to do with the eggs?

My wife and I have been buying meat chickens for the last 3 years and this year we had a really bad time with them I lost almost half of all I bought (they were left in a vehicle in freezing temps during shipping) and now 4 of them have severe legs problems and the rest just don't seem to be growing like they did in the first couple of years.

So we've been thinking, with the new turkeys we've gotten they seem a lot eaiser to take care of then the meat chickens.

If I wanted to raise my own turkeys which breeds would be the best breed to start with for raising and hatching my own.

The ones I have now are Bronze & American Whites both I believe are considered a broad breasted turkey, and I've read that's why they can't reproduce naturally.

So suggestions would be appreciated.

KWS

Any of the heritage breeds will breed naturally.
Bourbon reds, royal palms. Spanish black. Blue slates. Are a few. If you want to see a large selection of varieties try porters website.

If you want adult birds or poults try craigslist.

Depending on location it should start filling up with poults. Another month or so people that have gotten all the eggs or poults they want will start selling breeder birds.

I started with a trio now have several varieties.

They are so much more fun than my chickens.

Hey there again! So how often will my new turkeys lay? Just got them yesterday. And someone told me before that turkey eggs do not scramble well. Is that true? I did get 1 egg yesterday, nothing today. It is so big and pretty, still have it on the counter, don't wanta crack it till I know what I am gonna do with it!
tongue.png
I scramble turkey eggs. You just have to beat the eggs a bit harder.

I'm testing Midget White this year for table use year round. A little bigger than my roaster size Cornish X and should make great fryer birds too. They just take longer to raise than chickens.

Any of the heritage breeds will breed naturally.
Bourbon reds, royal palms. Spanish black. Blue slates. Are a few. If you want to see a large selection of varieties try porters website.

If you want adult birds or poults try craigslist.

Depending on location it should start filling up with poults. Another month or so people that have gotten all the eggs or poults they want will start selling breeder birds.

I started with a trio now have several varieties.

They are so much more fun than my chickens.

Porters, is that a hatchery?

Yes porters hatches poults and sells hatching eggs.

I have not gotten any turkeys from them. Several on here have. Porters have one of the largest
Selection of varieties for heritage turkeys.

They have some gorgeous birds.

What do I feed the turkeys at 16 weeks? They are now about a week and a half. I have Royal Palms and Broad Breasted Bronze

Back
Top Bottom